Salesforce Lightning Migration:
The big step for every organisation who had Salesforce for a while on Classic mode is to look into Salesforce Lightning Migration.. with every Salesforce Release, the Salesforce Lightning framework is becoming more awesome and supporting most of the features from classic and all the new features are directly in lightning version.
Recently, I had an opportunity to attend ‘Lightning Now Tour’ and as a Business Analyst, I chose the admin specific training. Throughout the training, my focus was to learn and understand the new features of the Lightning framework.
Next time, I meet my clients I am going to analyze their businesses with respect to how the Lightning features can drive them and recommend the Lightning components, analyze and plan the stages of the work. During the training, my key focus areas were Business and Functional dimensions for the Lightning components. I am also sharing some of the key slides from the training presentation.
This training helped us to gain the insight and hands-on experience for the migration. The exercises focused on the new features and gave us a brief idea on customization and User app/profiles permissions.
Based on our company experience on Salesforce Classic to Lightning migration, we have categorized the migration process into different stages for a project as below:
1. When do I propose the new Lightning feature and the Drivers to start Lightning transition?
- Internal Business Event
- Merging of orgs
- Start of a new process/project – take advantage of Lightning
- External Business Event
○ Merging & Acquisitions – use the opportunity to transition on Lightning
- Process standardization/ globalization
○ Use Lightning for standardization (path, flow, Kanban)
- Sales Kickoff/All hands
2. How should I convince my client to migrate to Lightning?
Salesforce is slowly transitioning to its biggest innovation which is currently optional but a mandatory in future, the sooner the better. It has now reached a stable version.
- Better collaboration
- Faster and varied customization features
- Anywhere access like Salesforce1
- Lightning Builder: I can build an app with minimal development experience
- Better Reporting, Dashboards, and Analytics
- Easy and better integration support like Lightning Snap-Ins
- Help within reach – Lightning Customer Community
Here is a proven survey that highlights the Lightning features and its statistics:
3. Understanding the users by creating a Persona User story
- Know your Salesforce users and roles
- Discuss stakeholder goals and role-specific usage of Salesforce system
- Establish primary and secondary personas like Managers, team members
- Prioritise page functionality/layouts for each persona
4. How do we do that?
We do that by taking the proven and standardized approach below:
Rollout options: Based on the Business, Users and their usage requirements, there are different rollout options.
1. Lightning readiness: Salesforce offers a systematic approach for the transitioning to Lightning with just one click.
● The readiness report identifies the gaps and risk areas for improvements
● Identify which users are ready
● 360-degree view on how the Lightning experience will improve the productivity
2. Create POCs app/components as per the business case and determine the right approach and iterate the same until a solution is achieved
- Switch to Lightning using the Transition Toolkit
○ Lightning Experience Readiness Check
- Lightning Experience Visualforce check
- Magic Mover for Notes & Attachments
- Lightning Configuration Converter e. Salesforce Optimizer
- Lightning Usage App
- Lightning Transition Technical Considerations for any limitations
3. Visualforce Pages and Lightning Experience:
It is very important to analyze and plan the change in a controlled environment for the transition into Lightning, considering the real-time analytics for Business Continuity. It is achieved as below:
- Build a Strategy for change
○ Develop a Vision
○ Communicate the Vision
○ Empower Middle Managers to participate in the Change
○ Identify and use Short-term wins to stimulate adoption+
○ Persist in advancing the Vision
- Identify a Core team
- Accelerate user Adoption through Change Management and Enablement
- Avoid future Technical Debt: If the users are still using Classic, it is best to avoid unsupported Lightning components/apps for the future component developments or app installations. Here are the others:
○ Enable MyDomain
○ Don’t add Notes and Attachments and Documents, use Enhances Notes and Files instead
○ In Visualforce: Avoid iFrames, window.onlocation
This training gave us the knowledge required to enter the Salesforce Lightning world and make recommendations for businesses. We also had an opportunity to meet and interact with the Salesforce team for any queries and met some great people and shared knowledge and expertise. It is important to keep revisiting the concepts in detail depending on the business needs.
“We @ Techforce Services are specialized in Salesforce Development – Apex, Visualforce and Lightning, API Integrations. We also cover Salesforce Setup, Implementation & Customization”.
Talk to us to know how we can Simplify your Salesforce journey.